About Qrendi

Qrendi is a small village in the southwest of Malta, with a population of 2,527 people (December 2008). It is near Mqabba and Żurrieq. Within its boundaries are two well-known Neolithic temples called Mnajdra and Ħaġar Qim. In this village two feasts are held annually. The feast of Our Lady of Lourdes is celebrated either on the last Sunday of June or on the first Sunday of July, with the August 15 the titular feast of the Ascension of Our Lady. This feast is popularly known as the feast of Santa Maria.

Qrendi today

Although the majority of the village's old core buildings remain today, Qrendi has changed considerably in recent times. A bypass road has been built to divert through-traffic away from the village, modern suburb developments has been built and an open space with a bus terminus has been created in front of the Parish Church by removing the walled grounds from an old villa.

The village is very quiet, as many of the Qrendin keep themselves to themselves, which gives the visitor a sense of relaxation and tranquillity in the narrow streets. There are no tourist cafes in the centre of the village. However the residents are friendly and will usually give a cheery greeting to any passers-by.

Churches and chapels in Qrendi

On Qrendi's coastline one can find the Maqluba, an enormous karstic depression, which fell from the cliff during a storm in 1343. According to legend a small chapel at its entrance was there at the time, which must make it one of the oldest surviving Christian buildings in Malta.[citation needed]

There are seven churches and chapels in the parish, most of them constructed on the site of earlier structures. The first parish was set up in 1436, when the village was within Żurrieq's parish. Qrendi became a separate parish in 1618.

The ornate baroque Parish Church, designed by Lorenzo Gafà the architect of Mdina Cathedral, was completed in 1720.